I’m in love with my kitchen for the first time since we’ve lived in this house! I mean, I knew this couldn’t backfire or present any possibility of me not liking the outcome, but the level of happiness at the outcome is way more than I anticipated.
Even on a rainy, gloomy day, our kitchen is bright! And I love even more that the wood grain of our oak cabinets still shows through the paint. If you’re a close picture examiner, you will see some missing hardware. I flip flopped our order and ordered too many pulls and not enough knobs. So the remaining knobs we need should be in next Tuesday. You’ll also see my motivational projected outcome pic hanging on the fridge—looks pretty dang good!
All in all this was an awesome do-it-yourself renovation that I would highly recommend if you’re even halfway thinking of it. Total cost ran us around $300 (including all hardware, a new palm sander, and $50 paint).
Allow yourself time and space. And the biggest factor of your time, is how much space you have to lay everything out for priming and painting and drying and recoating. Without the space to keep working, you’re stuck waiting. We set up several 6′ long tables in our garage.
And when it comes to paint, it’s never too expensive. Splurge on your paint and you’ll save yourself tons of headaches as it just settles so beautifully. We used Benjamin Moore Advance and our color was from the Off White Collection named Dove Wing. The Advance line is technically a water base which helps with drying time and clean up compared to the typical cabinetry oil base paints. However it’s all fancy and engineered to self level and dry beautifully and cure hard. It ran us around $50/gallon and it was worth every penny. And after painting two coats on every cabinet surface we covered, we still only used half a gallon. Talk about lovely coverage.
Oh and we also salvaged our hinges instead of spending money to replace them. We simply scrubbed them clean with a hard brush and bleach and used Rustoleum Metallic Spray Paint in oil rubbed bronze color to coordinate with our oil rubbed bronze hardware. They turned out great and only cost us $6 in spray paint.
For a step by step guide of how we tackled our cabinets, I defer you to one of my favorite do-it-yourself blogs/family, Young House Love. Their recent step-by-step kitchen cabinet blog was basically what I followed to a T. So if my humble do-it-yourself projects are able to add any more credibility to everything they complete, then I hope it helps.
Stay tuned for true final pics soon. Our hardwood floors came early (Happy Valentines to me!) and started installing yesterday.